Sunday, October 31, 2010

Weekend Projiects

Made these two angel puzzles from a pattern by Dave and Judy Petersen. They specialize in puzzles and have published three pattern books. One which I have deals with animals. They have another called "Fantasy and Legends" which has unicorns, dragons, and the like and their most recent is Zodiac puzzles utilizing the signs of the zodiac for patterns. This pattern isn't in
any of them so I was glad to find it in the Holiday edition of "Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts" magazine.
The wood I used for these angels is a spalted maple. It has beautiful streaks in it and it is a soft maple so it cuts and shapes easily. I used a flap wheel sander in my drill press to round over the edges slightly which gives it a softer look and a little depth to the parts. A number five blade made the pieces slide together easily.
Hope to do more of these in the future cutting and shaping more of Judy and Dave's patterns.
I need practice using the flap wheel sander. One problem I have is not holding the pieces tight enough and the wheel propels them out of my hand and across my shop turning them into deadly missiles! Another is holding the pieces against the wheel too long causing burning or two much rounding. But, learning is what it is all about, right?
Have a good one. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment