Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Cuttin' Corian

Corian is a trademark name for a certain counter top material that remodelers use. Scroll
Saw artists such as my self are not above begging them for their scrap pieces left over from recent jobs. It comes in a variety of colors and if you can get your hands on any it makes nice trivets and nick knacks.
Well I haven't located a source around here for it but I managed to pick up some pieces at this summers Scroll Saw Expo in Ohio. I finally got up the nerve to try cutting some of it. Pictured above is the result of my efforts.
Corian cuts something like wood but it has certain challenging characteristics. One is that you need to set your blade speed very low because if you don't the blade gets hot and the sawdust melts as you cut fusing the kerf right back together.
The size of the blade is important. For you scrollers reading this I tried a number five first but that didn't work out too well so I moved up to a 7. Much better. What ever blade you choose it needs to be able to clear the dust from the kerf otherwise it is very difficult to separate your finished piece from the stock. I ended up making a lot of release cuts.
As a final thought, I do like it and hope to cut some more soon. Results will be posted here. Meanwhile I need to find a good hearted remodeler who will let me have some scraps.

1 comment:

  1. Those look really cool, and different! Keep working the angle at some counter-top stores! We would use them!!! We just accidentally ruined the table by putting a lid on it :( Those are nice enough to leave on the table all the time!

    ReplyDelete