Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sheila's Ornaments

Finally finished cutting out my first set of Sheila Landry's musical instrument ornaments. November is by far the busiest month of the year for me and, unfortunately, not all of it involves scroll sawing. These ornaments have some fine details in them that you cannot see in the picture and it was quite challenging for me. I wouldn't give this work an A plus but it would get a passing grade.
Scroll sawers are usually far more critical of their own work than anybody Else but as I was cutting these I was wondering what if my scrolling work were being critiqued by the judges of the hit tv show "Dancing With The Stars". Probably go something like this.

Announcer: Scrolling Sheila Landry's French Horn Ornament...Terry of Terry's Scroll Shoppe.

Tom: Come on over here Terry and let's get the judges comments, starting with the
who never seems to get enough fiber in his diet, Len.

Len: Well over all I thought it was pretty good...but for me...the French horn must have
elegant, smooth, flowing curves, and yours were a bit flat at times. You've got to
work on that.

Tom: OKAY speaking of elegant curves let's go now to the ever weeping Carrie Ann.

Carrie:(wiping away a tear) You know, I see so much potential in you. It's clear that you truly
love what you do. But I want to be moved to tears by your artistry and not by the
fact that you have'nt reached it yet. AND I did see a LIFT!

Terry: But I was just lifting the arm to change a dull blade!

Carrie: Next time start with a sharp one That is fundamental.

Tom: All right...now to the always flamboyant Bruno.

Bruno: (rising and shouting) YOU SEXY SCROLLING BEAST. YOU APPROACH YOUR WORK
WITH A FIRE AND A PASSION I HAVE NOT SEEN. (sitting back down and
lowering his voice) But I'm afraid Len is right, you know. The curves are a bit
flat. You should try loosening the grip on your wood and that will make it easier
to manipulate.
Tom: (evil grin)Bruno...would you care to expand on the "loosen the grip on your wood
to manipulate it better?

Bruno: YOU NAUGHTY BOY. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I MEAN. I SHOULD PUT
YOU OVER MY KNEE AND SPANK YOU.

Tom: Could be exciting for both of us. How bout right after the show?
be sure to join us tomorrow night to see if Terry is going to return next week or
leave in shame and humiliation. THIS IS SCROLLING WITH THE STARS!

Please folks...I need your votes...

No comments:

Post a Comment