Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Painting Option for "Hearts in Love".


After deciding that the "Hearts in Love" cutting just looked too plain in raw wood I was looking
for a way to paint it without losing the character of the wood so I went back to the magazine
article to see what the original designer did and came up with this creative option.
You notice the inside of the letters are painted and the outside wood is left natural. To accomplish this I started by covering both sides of a piece of poplar with blue painters tape and then affixing the pattern to that. I then cut out the piece and before removing the tape I spay painted the edges and inside the letters with a bright red. Then I took some gold paint and added just a light mist for accents. The gold paint came out a little gloppy but it still left a
very nice effect. After it dries you just peel the paint off and you see the end result.
My test market ladies a worked loved it. I sold one immediately and may have some more orders soon. One of my friends suggested to try some other color combinations such as purple and silver or navy blue and gold. I like the idea and may try it out with some other word art.
People really seem to like the word art. Certain phrases touch certain chords in their lives and some of it makes them laugh. It seems to sell better than anything else I am currently doing.
It is also something I can design myself with my Inkscape vector drawing program. Soooo if you
happen to think of any two to four word sayings of phrases post them in the comments section and we'll see what happens.

1 comment: