Sunday, January 9, 2011

My First Box


Back in the Summer I bought a few one inch thick boards with the idea of trying some small boxes. I kept waiting for a pattern I couldn't resist and finally this month my scroll saw friend Steve Good posted this free pattern on his blog site.

The top and bottom of the box are pieces of quarter inch cherry and the walls are made from a single piece of one inch soft maple.
This one is a prototype I won't sell but now that I have attempted it and learned a few things in
doing it I am going to make a few more to sell.
By far, the most time consuming part is the fretwork in the lid. The walls and bottom took only minutes to cut out.
The glue up is a bit tricky. You must get the inner walls in exactly the right place or the top and bottom won't line up properly when you put it together. I used E-6000 glue. It's kind of like
super glue. It sets quickly and is pretty strong.
Getting the outer walls to fit over the inner walls is a bit tricky also. Sometimes it is necessary to sand the inside of the outer walls with a drum sander on the drill press.
The finish is a coating of Danish Oil and a sealing finish of spray lacquer on top of that.
I like this little box and I'm looking forward to making more in the near future. Obviously this is a Valentines Day project so I need to get going on it.
I see this box selling for between ten and fifteen dollars.
More Valentines Day Projects to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment