Sunday, November 13, 2011

Another Great Day!








We did another bazaar this weekend, this time in the great Michigan city of Frankenmuth. The show was held in the high school gymnasium. It was a bigger show than last week. More vendors and we were packed in like sardines. This one was virtually all crafters, unlike last weeks which featured some commercial enterprises.


As I was setting up my tables the vendor next to me was admiring some of my work. "It's very beautiful" she said. "Do you use a laser?"

"NO MAM" I immediately responded. "These were all cut by hand by me on a scroll saw. Laser

cutting is not crafting, it's manufacturing."

"But laser is acceptable." she replied"

"Not to me it isn't" I said.

It is a sore spot with me and most scroll sawyers. We work hard, our products take a lot longer to make and then we get to a craft show that supposedly has ONLY hand made items and there is a laser cutter there with his mass produced items selling for far less than we can afford to sell ours for. Most scollers won't go back to a show like that.


Anyway with that explained it's time to talk about this show. As I mentioned there were plenty of vendors. Only two other woodworkers that I saw. Most seem to have clothing type items and wreath decorations, a guy selling dog treats and some others I can't remember right now.


The crowds were really good and sales were excellent though not as good a last weeks. That kind of surprised me because I had low expectations for last weeks show and high for this one.

Last week, however, was so good that I drew down a lot of my stock and didn't have enough time to replenish it. Still I made a few things and they sold any way. Puzzles, ornaments, and word art were among the things that sold. I also sold a few letter openers I had made.


I think that's gonna do it for craft shows for this year. I had really soured on them after some

poor sales in 2010 but things seem to turn around this year and I may try a few more next year.

We'll see how things go.



No comments:

Post a Comment