Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My Second Box

Cut this one out last weekend from a Steve Good pattern. The nifty thing about it is that the top is held in place by magnets and it swings open and shut from either end. I made just a tiny mistake in that I drilled one of the holes for the magnet in the top too deep and the one in the bottom not deep enough but it turns out to be okay because it pivots like a post now. This little box is 1 inch deep. It is made from 1/4 inch oak for the top and bottom an 1 inch thick maple for the walls. It can be used for any number of things, paper clips, push pins, change, wrapped candy (you wouldn't put loose candy in there because of the finish), jewelry, your watch, just use your imagination. I will use it as an "eye catcher" on my desk at work to draw attention to whatever else I may have there to sell. On my bazaar table this one will go for $20.00. I like these a lot and will be making some more out of different kinds of woods in the future. I picked up a number of different 1 inch thick boards the last time I visited my favorite wood store.

I'm actually sitting here kind of depressed tonight. I was working on a custom order I got from a friend at work and I got just barely into it and was trying to cut out some small letters in her name and slipped and ruined it. Now I have a nice chunk of what we in the scrolling community call "designer firewood" Fortunately I do have another board I can use and I will just have to start all over. Bummer though. That is why I decided to photograph one of my successes and post it here on the blog.

Things are gradually slowing down. The basketball and hockey seasons are winding down so pretty soon I will have a lot more time to devote to scroll sawing. There are so many things I want to cut and just have not had the time to devote to them. But this weekend looks free and clear so far and I hope to have a lot of great things to show you next week. Unless, of course, I make more designer firewood.

No comments:

Post a Comment