Monday, June 28, 2010

Getting ready for Clarkston

Here are a couple of beauties I cut this weekend to sell at the Clarkston art and craft show.
People seem to really like word art and I think these should sell easily for my asking price.
Which brings to a delicate subject...Pricing. I have constantly been told I am way under pricing my stuff. I guess it all goes back to a lack of self confidence and underestimating what people will pay for things I made. But that is changing and I have to say I am no longer undervalueing my work. Today I sold a little piece of word art called "Home is where the dogs are". I made it special for the lady who sits next to me at work, one of what my wife calls, my "girlfriends". I told her it would be six dollars. She insisted in paying me ten. Gradually my wonderful test market ladies are teaching me what my work is worth. I've got to start getting it and this is going to be the weekend. I don't negotiate on my prices. I remember one crafter telling me that when people ask him how much less he'll take then what he's asking he says "actually the price just went up!" Don't think I could be that bold but I aint goin down either.
So for the show this weekend I've been concentrating on puzzels and word art. Will take last years left over Christmas ornaments. And, of course my wildlife wall art. And this being 4th of July weekend I hope to sell a few patriotic things to. Military ribbons and such. Wish me luck.
It's the first big show of 2010 for me. If it goes well, I'll do more. In any case, the scoll saw will always be hummin.

No comments:

Post a Comment