Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Shadow Butterfly

Cut this beauty out this past weekend. The pattern is by Steve Good. I cut the butterfly and then mounted it on a 1/2 inch small piece of wood and added that to a plywood backer and a pine base. The neat thing about it are the shadows it casts depending on the angle of the light.
This one is a prototype for future efforts. I would like to make a variety of them in different

woods like cedar which has some great grain patterns, oak, or cherry. I also need to make a few at a time because the cutting time on the butterfly is about three hours and I need to get the cost per unit down where people can afford to buy them.


Butterflies symbolize different things to different people. Some see them as a symbol of renewal and rebirth since they begin as a pupa and hatch from a cocoon into something totally

changed and a thousand times more beautiful than they were before.


The woman who sits next to me at work told me the story of why butterflies are special to her. She said: When they got to the cemetery for her father's internment There were dozens of beautiful butterflies at the grave side and even though it was a sad occasion it sort of symbolized to her what he would now become. Something new and beautiful and reborn. Kind of touched me. Hope it does you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment