Sunday, December 5, 2010

Busy Weekend in Ye Olde Scroll Shoppe

First completely free weekend I've had in I don't know when. No extracurriculars this weekend.
No basketball, No hockey, No announcing, No place I had to be. So I decided it was a good
weekend to spend entirely in the shop. Displayed above are some of the projects from the weekend.
I have already told you the story of the item at the top of the board..."Live Life Laugh Often" so let me tell you about the others. The "Merry Christmas 2010" ornament with the nativity scene was ordered by one of my friends at my day job. She wanted two of them and I already had one so I cut this one out on Saturday.
The key chain you see hanging next to it is done with a new technique to me that I learned on-line. I down loaded a program that produces patterns for oval shaped key chains with the letters cut into the wood. I then put a backer of a different color wood on it and filled the letters with polymer modeling clay. It comes in a wide variety of colors. I chose red for an at work Friend that wanted eight of them to honor his late father in-law. After packing the clay into the letter cut outs I baked them for half an hour in the oven and then sanded off the excess. A wipe down with Watco Danish Oil gives them a beautiful finish.
The cars are something I have just recently gotten interested in. The body's are cut from your basic contrstuction type 2x4 and the fenders are from scrap wood. The wheels are just a standard craft store product and 1/4 inch dowels serve as the axles. Funny story about the smaller more modern looking car. To cut the body I affix a pattern to the 2x4 using krylon Easy Tack spay on glue. It is a temporary bond and easy to remove. For the finish I decided on Krylon Clear Glaze, a kind of lacquer that gives it a nice gloss. Well...Krylon Easy Tack and Krylon Clear Glaze come in very similar looking cans! You can see what's coming here, can't you? After coating my little hot rod till I had a nice shine on it I stepped back to admire my work and looked down at the can in my hand. I suddenly realized I had just covered by beloved project in GLUE!!!!!! I grabbed in (sticking to my fingers) and raced to the other room where I poured a can of mineral spirits into a pan and proceeded to give it a bath. Fortunately it worked and everything is fine now. Boy, was I mad!!!
There is one unfinished project you see here. It is my name train. Tomorrow axles and wheels will be added to each piece and they will all be painted different colors. It will serve as a decoration for my desk at work as we try to win the decorating contest for the holidays. I'll post a new picture when it's done. See ya then.

No comments:

Post a Comment